Saturday, October 29, 2011

Welcome to "Down and Dirty", with Larry Bernstein

Hello !!!

Lockwood Valley Trail, Los Padres National Forest
I’m Larry, the owner of  Dirty Parts, and an avid off-roader for over 25 years.   It was suggested that I start this blog as a way to open an informal conversation about off-road vehicles, parts, services, and adventures.  Those who know me will know I like to talk, so I thought “why not?”.

I still work full-time at Dirty Parts (actually more than that), and enjoy spending time with my family, as well as off-roading, so this blog probably won’t be monitored or revised on daily basis. My initial plan is to post at least weekly, and to answer your questions and comments to the best of my ability, as quickly as possible. (If you have an urgent question, call Dirty Parts at (310) 390-9086 during store hours, or email us at info@dirtyparts.com).

Cleghorn Trail, San Bernadino Forest
My current vehicle is a 2007 FJ Cruiser, modified to accommodate my interest in expedition-style off-road adventures. I’ve owned several Landcruisers, and other 4WD vehicles over the years, and have spent time on all different types of trails and terrain; but I prefer a more leisurely off-road experience now, where the road is a means to an end, instead of the entire journey. Maybe it’s age, experience, or just the desire to come home in one piece (having kids can do that to you), but my focus now is about the amazing areas you can see with the help of a well-equipped rig. Don’t get me wrong - I still enjoy a challenging trail, and I’m not immune to damaging or breaking stuff when off the beaten path, but it’s no longer the only reason I wheel. I seem to appreciate the history and the beauty of the areas I transverse more than I did when I was much younger, and I look forward to revisiting many areas I took for granted in the past.

The FJ "Hilton" in the East Mojave Desert
Buck Rock Trail, Sequoia National Forest
Being based in Southern California, much of the area we see is desert; although we do  have a great diversity of terrain and weather seen in few other places on earth. Recently, I went on a trip with a few good friends to the Sequoia National Forest, home of some of the tallest trees on the planet, as well as stunning mountain views that stretched out for nearly 100 miles in every direction. It was absolutely awe-inspiring, and a complete change from the usual barren desert regions. Our roster included a 4th Gen 4Runner, a pair of  Hummer H2s, and a trio of FJ Cruisers, including one pulling an Adventure Trailer. We camped in an area called Buck Rock, and the trail leading to our chosen campsite was a black-diamond rated trail, making the 10+ mile run to camp one that kept you awake. Once there, we settled in to some fabulous meals, great conversation, and a good night’s sleep (despite the bear cub’s visit late at night). We checked out some of the local sites, played around with HF radios during the night (we are all avid Ham Radio operators –more on that in later posts), and felt invigorated by the crisp, clean air at 9000 feet. After four days in the mountains of Central California, I had a new appreciation for the mountains, and the different challenges it presents to the off-road enthusiast. Navigating through trees, off-camber slick-rock, and moist mulchy ground requires using a skill set distinctive from that speeding over desert sand moguls and sharp brush. 

All in all a great trip, and I look forward to returning to that area again soon. (Oh, and my wife will kill me if I don't mention www.DirtyParts.com ).

1 comment:

  1. Here is the investors contact Email details,lfdsloans@outlook.com.  Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Le_Meridian put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may surprise why me putting things like this here but i really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking for financial help or going through hardship with there business or want to startup business project can see to this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete